French Press Instructions
Instructions how to use a french press
Here are french press instructions on how to use a french press to brew delicious frenchpress coffee.
A french press, doesn't work with electric, so all you need is the french press pot that consists of the beaker or carafe and lid, that is one piece with the "plunger"-filter you press down to brew.
You'll also need a stirring spoon, a kettle to boil the water, and optionally: a coffee scoop and a timer.
The process of brewing the french press coffee is easy and straight-forward. Follow these instructions.
Check out also: French Press coffee vs. drip coffee
How To Use a French Press Coffee Maker
- Heat water in a kettle.
- Grind your coffee beans, if you haven't yet and if you don't use ready grounds (you shouldn't, if you want to appreciate the complex rich flavors of fresh coffee). Grind coarse for the french press coffee.
- Remove the lid and attached filter/"plunger" of the french press pot.
- Add your coffee grounds. How much? I recommend 1 tablespoon (7 gram of coffee) per 6 oz of water. You may want to adjust to your own taste, weaker or stronger) to the french pot.
- Pour the hot water right on the coffee in the pot.
- Now, stir and mix well. Stirring is important, so that the grounds soak in the water. This ensures better extraction of the essential coffee oils/flavors.
- Close the lid and let it steep and brew for about 4 minutes, or a little less if you wish (here's where the timer comes in if you opt to set one). Don't push down the plunger yet.
- After 4 minutes, press down the filter/plunger slowly to strain the coffee. What happens is that the filter is pressed down to the bottom trapping the grounds, and the strained coffee remains above.
Don't apply too much pressure when pressing down; you can cause it to splash hot scalding coffee right in your face.
- Your freshly brewed french press coffee now is ready to pour.
Enjoy your plunger coffee.
Check out also:
Tips and Techniques on using a french press
Were the french press instructions helpful?
Tell Us Your Hot Coffee Story
Do you have a great coffee story about this? Share it with the rest of us!
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Use this search feature to find it
French Press Instructions - Coffee Home